March 15, 2008
Novi Pazar II
Most of all: Novi Pazar is a trading place!
The name "Novi Pazar" is derived ultimately from the turkish word "pazar" ("bazar" in Persian and "bazaar" in English) and Serbian word "novi" ("new" in English)
The area of Novi Pazar was occupied and administered by the Austro-Hungarians from 1878 to 1908. Then it was returned to the Ottoman Empire, which ruled this territory until it was lost to Serbia in 1912 during the first Balkan War.
Today Novi Pazar had around 85% Bosniaks (many of them declare themselves as Muslims by nationality) and around 12% Serbs.
Here another post of Novi Pazar.
Labels: Raska (Sandzak)